NOTE: There is only 1 application to file for both scholarships. There is no audition.
Criteria for Scholarship Award:
1. Applicant must be a graduating high school senior going on to a 2 or 4 year college.
2. Applicant's intended college major will be in the Theater Arts; this includes Acting, Music (vocal), Dance, or Stage Production.
3. Applicant must demonstrate a high degree of involvement in the performing arts throughout his/her high school career. This includes both community and school productions.
4. Applicant must be a resident of Santa Clara County, California or graduating from a high school in Santa Clara County, California
Note: Special consideration will be given to applicants who have significantly participated in a WVLO production within the preceding 24 months of their application. Participation includes both on-stage and off-stage activities (however, activities such as ushering, refreshments, ... although helpful to the group will not be considered significant for purposes of the scholarship).
NOTE: WVLO is not associated with West Valley College.
Application Instructions for the Theater Arts Scholarships
There is no preprinted application
Applicants should mail their application materials (incl Reference Letter) AFTER 1/31/2017 to:
WVLO Theater Scholarship
c/o Jay Sternin
9034 Village View Drive
San Jose CA 95135-2174
DEADLINE: Application (including Reference Letter) for the scholarship must be postmarked no later than Friday March 17, 2017 for consideration.
The application consists of four (4) parts (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
1. Cover Sheet (typed)
2. Resume (separate typed sheet)
NOTE: Please DO NOT include GPA, headshots or photos, hobbies, travel experiences, Community Service activities, ....
3. Essay (separate sheet(s); typed double spaced, 12 pt. font and no more than two pages.
NOTE: Points will be deducted if the total of the responses to the prompts below exceeds two (2) pages..
Please respond to the following three (3) questions in separate, well written, numbered paragraphs.The paragraphs should be typed, double spaced, 12 pt. font and no more than two (2) pages in total for all three questions.
1. What has being involved in theater arts meant to your life?
2. Why is pursuing a career in the performing arts important to you?
3. What are your future career plans in the performing arts?
4. Reference Letter
Items 1, 2, and 3 above must be submitted in the same mailing.
The Letter of Reference, item 4, should be submitted in a separate mailing.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will be NOT be given consideration.
Applicants should be notified no later than by May 27, 2017 of the disposition of their application.
The successful applicant will receive the scholarship funds within 30 days after providing to WVLO:
By the submission of an application you agree that in the event you are awarded a scholarship WVLO may announce your name as the Scholarship winner and may use your name and likeness in it's publicity material.
The decision of the WVLOA Scholarship Panel is final. Applicant's score will not be released. A scholarship may not be awarded if no applicant is deemed appropriate.