SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INFO
We are very pleased to announce the 16th. annual Gene and Cele Pincus Memorial Theater Arts Scholarship for 2018 and the 4th annual Janet Cazel Memorial Theater Arts Scholarship for 2018 .
Dedicated to the memory of Gene and Cele Pincus who worked tirelessly in support of WVLO for 25 years, and to the memory of Janet Cazel, a long time WVLO supporter, the two scholarships each award, on a competItive basis, an amount of $1,000. The recipients must be graduating high school seniors who intend to pursue a career in Theater Arts and who have demonstrated a high degree of involvement in the performing arts throughout his/her high school career.
NOTE: There is only 1 application to file for both scholarships. There is no audition.
Criteria for Scholarship Award:
1. Applicant must be a graduating high school senior going on to a 2 or 4 year college.
2. Applicant's intended college major will be in the Theater Arts; this includes Acting, Music (vocal), Dance, or Stage Production.
3. Applicant must demonstrate a high degree of involvement in the performing arts throughout his/her high school career. This includes both community and school productions.
4. Applicant must be a resident of Santa Clara County, California or graduating from a high school in Santa Clara County, California
Note: Special consideration will be given to applicants who have significantly participated in a WVLO production within the preceding 24 months of their application. Participation includes both on-stage and off-stage activities (however, activities such as ushering, refreshments, ... although helpful to the group will not be considered significant for purposes of the scholarship).
NOTE: WVLO is not associated with West Valley College.
Application Instructions for the Theater Arts Scholarships
There is no preprinted application
Applicants should mail their application materials (incl Reference Letter) AFTER 1/31/2018 to:
WVLO Theater Scholarship
c/o Jay Sternin
9034 Village View Drive
San Jose CA 95135-2174
DEADLINE: Application (including Reference Letter) for the scholarship must be postmarked no later than Saturday March 17, 2018 for consideration.
The application consists of four (4) parts (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
1. Cover Sheet (typed)
- Include: applicant's full name, home address, home phone, email address.
- Specify the name of your High School and your expected graduation date.
- Indicate your involvement, if any, with WVLO within 24 months of the application (include dates and activities. Please provide a rough estimate of the number of hours you contributed.
- List college(s) you plan to attend or have applied to, listing your proposed college major.
2. Resume (separate typed sheet)
- List your involvement with community and school performing arts productions (with a focus on your high school years). Include dates and names of organizations.
NOTE: Please DO NOT include GPA, headshots or photos, hobbies, travel experiences, Community Service activities, ....
3. Essay (separate sheet(s); typed double spaced, 12 pt. font and no more than two pages.
NOTE: Points will be deducted if the total of the responses to the prompts below exceeds two (2) pages..
Please respond to the following three (3) questions in separate, well written, numbered paragraphs.The paragraphs should be typed, double spaced, 12 pt. font and no more than two (2) pages in total for all three questions.
1. What has being involved in theater arts meant to your life?
2. Why is pursuing a career in the performing arts important to you?
3. What are your future career plans in the performing arts?
4. Reference Letter
- A letter of reference from someone directly involved in the performing arts who is familiar with the applicant's involvement in performing arts. (This may be a high school teacher, a vocal or drama teacher/coach, show director, etc.)
Items 1, 2, and 3 above must be submitted in the same mailing.
The Letter of Reference, item 4, should be submitted in a separate mailing.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will be NOT be given consideration.
Applicants should be notified no later than by May 31, 2018 of the disposition of their application.
The successful applicant will receive the scholarship funds within 30 days after providing to WVLO:
- a copy of an acceptance letter from an accredited two or four year college
- signed statement from the applicant indicating they will be attending that college and majoring in Theater Arts. A parent/guardian signature is also required.
By the submission of an application you agree that in the event you are awarded a scholarship WVLO may announce your name as the Scholarship winner and may use your name and likeness in it's publicity material.
The decision of the WVLOA Scholarship Panel is final. Applicant's score will not be released. A scholarship may not be awarded if no applicant is deemed appropriate.